Consuming beneficial probiotics through a wholesome food source is becoming much more difficult given our selection at most supermarkets. Most of us turn to yogurts laden with sugar and pasteurized/modified milk ingredients, which renders the benefits much less attractive. Time to make your own yogurt, that delivers probiotics and flavour in spades.
The purpose of this coconut yogurt recipe is to provide the healing benefits of highly mineralized, raw coconut water and meat, as well as the delivery of billions of beneficial probiotics that become present through the fermentation process.
Not only that, but you also get to enjoy the fresh taste of a homemade yogurt topped with whatever fresh fruit or natural sweeteners you enjoy.
- Good quality blender
- 2-3 young thai coconuts (enough to yield 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup kefir, or a probiotic capsule
- 1 pinch vanilla bean powder
- Coconut sugar or stevia to taste
- Fresh berries or fruit (optional)
- Blend coconut meat with water (about 6-8 oz) until it becomes smooth.
- Add kefir or probiotic capsule and pulse briefly into mixture.
- Place coconut cream in jar and fasten lid (allow room for expansion).
- Allow to ferment, covered, on counter where temperature is between 71 and 80F for 8-12 hours.
- Yogurt is ready when taste is slightly sour. Add sweetener, vanilla, and fruit to taste.
- Store in fridge for up to a week.
- Eat on its own, in a smoothie, or as a snack. Just get it in you and enjoy the tasty results!
The views and services offered by Healing the Body are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical service, but as an alternative for those who are seeking natural solutions for better health. As part of this service, we recommend certain products that we are affiliated with because we have personal experience in using them and believe they can create noticeable results for others when used properly and are cleared by your medical professional. For more information, please see our full disclosure.