My secret BFF was Reese Peanut Butter Cups for most of my life. When I saw the latest variety with the addition of the Reese Pieces, I impulsively tossed it in my grocery basket with a rebellious smirk. I should have known better as I was checking out: the neon orange package was a garish warning amongst the organic kale, broccoli and apples. I tore open the package in the privacy of my car and ate the first cup with excitement and delight. But just a few seconds later, my heart was racing. After a few minutes, I could feel my pancreas scream in terror. What was all this processed sugar doing to my body? Nothing good.
Food is fuel, not therapy. Five words I have to say to myself when deadlines are overwhelming, or when my ex delivers that well-timed jab to my ribs like only a good ex can. So, how can I turn my beloved peanut butter cups into nourishing fuel? With this raw chocolate cup filled with almond butter and a blackberry camu camu jam. Yes! Almonds are high in vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant) and magnesium (for relaxing your muscles and your mind). Blackberries are packed with vitamin C, and are also high in vitamin K, which helps regulate hormones and reduce menstrual cramps (yes please!). Camu camu lives up to its superfood title: it has the most vitamin C in the plant kingdom. It’s also a great source of calcium, phosphorus, potassium and iron. Not only will camu camu boost your immune system and benefit your eyesight and skin, it will also pitch in and support your brain during stress and anxiety. All good things! Hooray! A new comfort food that is fuel and therapy.
Almond Butter Filling
- 2 tbsp cacao butter, finely chopped
- 1 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup puffed quinoa
Blackberry Camu Camu Jam
- 2 pints organic blackberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp camu camu
- 2 cups cacao butter, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut nectar
- 1 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
For the Almond Butter Filling
- Melt the cacao butter in a dehydrator or over a double-boiler. Pulse dates in a food processor until they form a ball. Pull them apart and redistribute in the food processor bowl. Add almond butter, coconut nectar, coconut oil and melted cacao butter. Process until well combined and smooth. Fold in the puffed quinoa. Set aside.
For the Blackberry Camu Camu Jam
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender, blend until smooth. Press the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds. Refrigerate until set.
For the Chocolate Cup
- Melt the cacao butter in a dehydrator or over a double-boiler. Stir in the coconut nectar. Add the cacao powder, vanilla and salt and stir until combined. Blend in a high speed blender until smooth. Put the cacao nibs in a food processor or high speed blender and pulse into a medium-coarse crumb. Set the cacao nibs aside.
- You will need a silicone mold (or 2) with 1.25” x 1.25” cavities. Distribute cacao nib crumbs in the bottom of each cavity. Pour approximately 1.5 tbsp of chocolate into each cavity. Using a small spatula or spoon, spread the chocolate to coat the sides of each cavity. Put the mold in the freezer for 10 minutes, or until it’s set.
- Spoon approximately 1 tbsp of Blackberry Camu Camu Jam into each cavity. Freeze for 15 minutes, or until it’s firm.
- Press approximately 1.5 tbsp of Almond Butter Filling on top of Jam. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Top each cavity with remaining chocolate, use an offset spatula to spread chocolate evenly. Freeze for 20 minutes. Once set, pop chocolates out of molds. Serve slightly chilled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Eat as needed for fuel and therapy.