One of my favorite ways to make guilt-free desserts is to use all raw, living food ingredients. Yet another example that nourishing foods can also be totally satisfying and delicious! These yummy bars have become a favorite in our home as they’re so fun and easy to make.
If you don’t have a star-shaped cookie cutter, you can use any shape you like (or simply cut into squares). Incidentally, these bars are one my favorite ways to get Omega-3s into my daughter’s diet with ease—kids absolutely flip for these!
The cashews and coconut are great sources of healthy fats, which are great for brain function and heart health. Coconut is also renowned for its positive effects on the immune system and metabolism. Fresh lemon is alkalinizing, and the berries are a very good source of vitamins and fiber.
- Food processor
- Large baking pan
- 1½ cups raw, unsalted cashews
- 2 cups strawberries (or half strawberries, half raspberries)
- ½ cup EACH: coconut nectar and coconut butter
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the cashews in enough water to cover and allow to soak for 8-12 hours (or overnight). Drain well in a strainer and set aside. NOTE: If you have a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix or Blendtec), you can skip the step of soaking the cashews.
- Place the cashews along with all of the other ingredients in a food processor (or your high-speed blender) and process until smooth. You’ll need to occasionally scrape down the inside of the food processor with a rubber spatula during this process (while it’s off of course!). Continue to blend until very smooth and creamy. This may take several minutes, so be patient. Remove and pour/scrape into a large lasagna-style pan (9.5 x 13.5-inches). Smooth out the top and place in the freezer for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into stars using a small, star-shaped cookie cutter. You can rework the excess portion into a flat layer, refreeze, and cut into stars again once firm (or simply eat the formless mass of goodness as is).
- To store, place the bars in an airtight container in a single layer. Cover with a sheet of waxed paper if you’ll be stacking more on top. They will keep in the freezer for several weeks. To serve, simply remove from the freezer and enjoy immediately (like an ice cream bar). Yummy!
- Great for kids parties, or even adult parties. 😉
- Makes 20 servings/GF/SF