If you’re like me, nothing beats a good soup recipe. In the dead of winter, or on a cool summers night, soup is an easy meal that can accompany nearly any dish. It can be simple and plain, exotic and spicy, and everything in between. Time to check out this sweet potato coconut soup recipe of the more exotic variety.
The purpose of this soup recipe is to take the sweetness of sweet potatoes, with the creaminess of coconut, and the spice of ginger, to make a soup that is bold and refreshing. Loaded with antibacterial foods and nutrients, you can’t go wrong with this soup. This soup has ridiculous amounts of Vitamin A, and also a good source of potassium and manganese.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger root (more if desired)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½-1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Powdered ginger to taste (optional)
- Heat oven to 400F. Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and bake until tender (could take up to an hour). Allow to cool, remove skins (should easily come off) and set aside
- Heat coconut oil in large pot. Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until tender and fragrant
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well
- Add broth and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes
- Blend ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Place blended ingredients back in pot and add coconut milk.
- Cook another 5 minutes
- Add salt, pepper and additional ginger to taste
- Slow down…save some for the kids!