As summer approaches ours minds turn to cooler and lighter foods that don’t require a stove or oven. Salads are the near perfect seasonal food item that can provide us with something light and cool to keep our energy up, and our internal heat down. Check out this jaw dropping strawberry spinach salad recipe.
Spinach is a highly versatile green and a great source of iron, chlorophyll, and fiber. Strawberries are also extremely high in fiber and also a great source of vitamin C.
Team those bad boys up with some alkalinizing almonds and you have a healthy dish that tastes wonderful too! Make plenty…you are going to need it.
Tess’s note: I’ve made this easy, elegant salad for more catering events than I can remember and it has never failed to garner rave reviews (and requests for the recipe!). If you have access to sorrel, it’s a terrific addition. Simply substitute it for some of the spinach.
(Photo credit: Michelle Bebber)
- 1 small sized bowl
- 1 medium sized bowl
- 2 tablespoons EACH: all-purpose oil (sunflower, non-virgin olive, or untoasted sesame), apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon EACH: sesame seeds, tamari, and orange juice
- ½ tablespoon poppy seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- One 5 oz. bag of baby spinach, organic and pre-washed
- 1 pint strawberries, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Topping: ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (dry toast in a pan over low heat until lightly browned)
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, sesame seeds, tamari, orange juice, poppy seeds, and paprika together to make the dressing. Set aside.
- Place the spinach (and sorrel, if using) and strawberries in a large bowl. Top with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Top with the almonds just before serving. Warn your tummy about the overly intense fabulousness it is about to experience.
- Eat any time, day or early evening.
- Serves 4.
The views and services offered by Healing the Body are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical service, but as an alternative for those who are seeking natural solutions for better health. As part of this service, we recommend certain products that we are affiliated with because we have personal experience in using them and believe they can create noticeable results for others when used properly and are cleared by your medical professional. For more information, please see our full disclosure.