As the peak of the summer heat is upon us, indulging in the enjoyable and therapeutic qualities of a chilled gazpacho soup can surely revive and refresh. More than half of the ingredients in this recipe possess hydrating and cooling ingredients, such as cucumbers, cilantro, limes, and pineapple.
Cucumbers, which contain up to 95% water, offer hydration as well as a cooling effect on the body. Cilantro is also known for its cooling properties, particularly noted by Ayurvedic medicine to be a powerful herb for cooling the ‘pitta’ dosha, the Ayurveda body-type classification system of which pitta is related to as “fire”. Cilantro is also a great detoxifier and digestive aid. Limes have cooling and astringent qualities. And pineapple, with all its juiciness, makes for a perfect treat this time of year.
Pineapples also possess properties that help dissipate summer’s blister such as “quenching (one’s) thirst and clearing summer heat” according to Traditional Chinese Medicine. Keep in mind, that although the recipe only calls for half a cup of pineapple, if you’re smart enough to use fresh pineapple as recommended, you’ll be forced to consume the rest of the pineapple by whatever means necessary.
With only 8 ingredients in this little summer dazzle recipe, you can whip it up in no time!
- Cutting Board
- Vitamix, other blender may suffice
- 2 cups peeled cucumbers
- 2 cups peeled pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced pineapple (fresh preferred to canned)
- 1/2 cup dry macadamia nuts (preferably soaked)
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a Vitamix (blender), blend base ingredients to smooth consistency
- Pour into soup pan
- Pulse the vegetables including macadamia nuts in food processor until chopped. Add this to the soup base.
- Serve chilled, garnished with lime
If you’re the adventurous type, or a nutrition aficionado, note that forgoing the peeling of the cucumbers will offer more nutritional content assuming the varied consistency is agreeable. There’s only one way to find out! And of course, all ingredients organic whenever possible. The pineapple is the one ingredient that would be less problematic if conventional since its thick skin protects it to some degree. Therefore, if you need to skimp to align with your budget, a conventional but fresh pineapple is measures beyond canned.
Recipe is courtesy of The Present Moment raw food cafe in St. Augustine, FL ~ Yvette Schindler, owner
* I had the pleasure of meeting the owner and sharing some deep conversations. She’s an inspiring woman living her purpose with integrity and love. This spot is worth a visit. Not to mention, did you know, St. Augustine is the oldest city of the entire U.S.? No joke! A magical little place.
The views and services offered by Healing the Body are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical service, but as an alternative for those who are seeking natural solutions for better health. As part of this service, we recommend certain products that we are affiliated with because we have personal experience in using them and believe they can create noticeable results for others when used properly and are cleared by your medical professional. For more information, please see our full disclosure.