It is estimated that 80% of disease begins in the mouth, and since it is a major gateway for biological and chemical toxins to enter our body, it makes sense to take care of it as prudently as possible.
Unfortunately, we’ve been tricked into attention grabbing products and convinced that our best choice for a fresh oral cavity is copious amounts of alcohol littered with artificial colours and flavours. Although alcohol could certainly dissuade certain microorganisms from surviving in the oral cavity, it can also dry out the delicate mucous membranes, kill beneficial bacteria, and create other issues in the process.
The good news is there is much better and convenient way to keep your oral cavity clean, than toxic mouthwashes that contain ingredients proven to make you “go mental” as well as promote cancer.
The dangerous ingredients in mouthwash
Ingredients can change over the years due to changes in safety data, but some of the basic ingredients found in many commercial mouthwashes include:
- Alcohol – this ingredient is added to kill bacteria in your mouth, but like antibiotics, it will kill both the good and bad bacteria. It can also result in dried out mucous membranes and decreased saliva output, which can compromise digestion and lead to even worse breath than before. Findings published in the Dental Journal of Australia also suggest that there was sufficient evidence that alcohol containing mouthwashes contribute to increased risk of development of oral cancer. With many mouthwashes being up to 25% alcohol, this is a real concern for your oral health.
- Artificial Colours – used to attract your eyes, anytime you see ingredients like Blue 1, Green No. 3, or Yellow 5, you can safely assume that these artificial colours are toxic to our cells and will compromise liver function.
- Artificial Flavours – used as sweeteners, ingredients such as aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose are artificial sweeteners that have been proven in lab environments to have harmful effects on cognition, including worsened memory and depression, due to impaired neural senses.
- Sodium Benzoate or Benzoic Acid – used as a preservative, this known carcinogen deprives mitochondria of oxygen, creating programmed cell death, which leaves them unable to fight off infections, including cancer. With accumulation, it has also been shown to facilitate cognitive issues such as ADHD and impaired memory and motor coordination.
- Fluoride – used to promote dental health, fluoride has been heavily debated in the last few years on it’s safety, but more recently The Lancet, a reputable and global medical journal, has officially classified fluoride as a neurotoxin, putting it in the same category as arsenic, lead, and mercury.
- Methyl Salicylate – this chemical is traditionally used as an antiseptic, and to add fragrance and colour to mouthwash. This completely toxic substance can produce vomiting, convulsions, vision loss, and even kidney failure if you overdose on it, so it’s safe to say that even trace amounts in your mouthwash over time can have a detrimental effect to your health.
- Polysorbate 80 – a chemical emulsifier, a study on mice that were fed this chemical showed they experienced major changes to their microbiome, resulting in low-grade inflammation that precipitated the formation of cancer cells. As such, it has been linked colon cancer.
There are certainly more harmful chemicals to add to the list that are often not on the ingredient label, such as cetylpyridinium chloride, chlorhexidine, hydrogen peroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate, poloxamer 407, and more. All of these substances carry their own risk from allergies to cardiovascular disease.
Of course, one may consider the “safe dosage” guidelines and that mouthwash is not typically ingested (or at least not intentionally), but the fact remains that the regular use of these types of mouthwashes will create a residual negative effect on the body through absorption in the delicate tissues of the mouth. So just because you are not ingesting it, doesn’t mean the accumulative effect can’t promote disease like mental disorders and cancer.
If you like the fresh feel of a mouthwash and want to ensure your oral cavity remains clean and disinfected, WITHOUT the chemical onslaught and repercussion, consider a natural mouthwash that gives you want you want, without the negative consequences. Nature has created a multitude of natural anti-bacterial substances that don’t ruin your good bacteria, dry out your mouth, create mental disorders, or promote cancer.
This is why I enjoy and recommend the Health Ranger Select Colloidal Silver Mouthwash, which comes in cinnamon and peppermint. With an ingredient list that includes NO chemicals, and various essential oils and herbs like clove tree oil, tea tree oil, black walnut hulls, and stevia extract, you can get that fresh mouth feeling, eliminate the bad breath, clean up your oral cavity, and improve overall dental health.