There’s never a bad time for ice cream, unless of course, you are consuming one full of dairy, sugar, and modified ingredients. Why can’t we get the best of both worlds with ice cream? Well, now you can. It’s time to have your cake (and ice cream) and eat it too. Check out this homemade vegan ice cream.
Ice cream is a treat that nearly everyone enjoys, especially during the warm summer months. However, most ice cream has been modified to an extent that it can actually be quite harmful to the body.
The purpose of this vegan ice cream recipe is to eliminate the main troublemakers (dairy, high glycemic sugars, and modified ingredients) and replace them with more natural ingredients that still make for a delicious treat.
- Ice cream maker
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Optional ingredients: Cacao nibs, berries, or fruit of your choice
- Take all ingredients and blend in Vitamix or high quality blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a sprout bag to remove all food particles, if silky texture is desired.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of optional ingredients (varies depending on taste and quality/moisture content of ingredients).
- Place mixture back into blender and blend until everything is well mixed.
- Pre-chill ice cream mixture by placing in fridge for a few hours, or in the freezer for 15-30 minutes. This is important in order to properly ‘set’ the ice cream mixture. Do not place mixture in ice cream bowl to avoid base freezing to the bowl.
- Once mixture is sufficiently cool (no ice crystals), pour into ice cream maker and let it works its magic (20 minutes or so).
- Enjoy as a snack on its own, or after a light meal.