Everyone seems to enjoy a good pie. What’s not to like, right? The combination of mom’s Crisco and that sweet inner filling is irresistible! However, it also creates a food combination that makes your gut scream out in pain in anticipation. Time to remedy that with this healthy key lime pie recipe, which will leave your taste buds tantalized, and your stomach much less afraid.
The purpose of this healthy key lime pie is to let you enjoy this delicious treat without all the hydrogenated fat and highly processed sugar fillings.
Not only that, but we substitute ingredients that provide healthy fats and more highly mineralized sugars. Yes, you might get just a bit smarter eating this pie. 🙂
- Food processor
- 10″ pie or cheesecake plate
- 1 cup raw walnuts and/or cashews
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup packed pitted dates
- Pinch sea salt
- 3 medium avocados (not too ripe)
- 1 cup coconut sugar syrup or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp lime juice (2-3 limes). Zest lime before juicing!
- 1-2 tsp of finely grated organic lime zest
- Put nuts and coconut in food processor with S-Blade and pulse to a coarse consistency.
- Add dates and salt and process again until you get a consistent mixture that sticks together.
- Transfer mixture to 10″ pie or cheesecake plate.
- Press mixture using fingers or back of spoon.
- Put in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Rinse out the food processor bowl.
- Put avocado meat, sweetener, lime juice, and zest in processor and whirl until smooth.
- Remove crust from freezer and pour the creamy filling into it, making sure it is smooth.
- Return to freezer for at least 15 minutes to allow to set.
- May need to defrost for a few minutes before serving (if you can hold out that long). Try not to gorge yourself on it, especially after a bigger meal.