Surprisingly, there are not a lot of soups that are vegan. Whether it’s an animal meat, dairy, or cheese, we always seem to want to add something that makes it a non-vegan choice. However, in this cream of broccoli soup recipe we have managed to create a completely vegan soup that’s bound to satisfy the carnivores in your family.
The purpose of this recipe is to create a traditional favourite, cream of broccoli, without the various sources of dairy.
Full of antibacterial, viral, and fungal ingredients, this recipe delivers plenty of vitamin C and K as well as calcium,manganese, and phosphorous.
- Large saucepan
- Good quality blender
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked for 1 hour, and drained)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 head of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups of water
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Steam broccoli until tender and set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, add coconut oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute, being careful not to burn.
- Add cumin, sea salt, mustard, black pepper, and cook for less than a minute.
- Add broccoli and remove from heat.
- In a blender, add half the soaked cashews, 1/2 the broccoli mixture, and 2 cups of water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour blended soup into large soup pot and blend remaining cashews, broccoli, and 2 more cups of water.
- Blend until smooth, and pour into pot again.
- Heat over low heat and add lemon and worcestershire sauce.
- Add water for desired consistency, and season according to taste.
- Makes a great light lunch with a side salad or raw veggies.