There is something to be said for the ability to create your own tonic that can satisfy your tastebuds and crank up your quality of life. This cranberry total body tonic kefir will do just that.
The purpose of this kefir recipe is to create a tonic that benefits all areas of the body, in a simple and tasty beverage.
The cranberry kicks up the kidney function, while the lemon works with the liver. The adaptogenic herbs of Pau D’Arco and schizandra not only support the adrenals, but also improve liver function and help clean up the gut. Fermenting the whole concoction creates a probiotic and enzyme rich beverage that helps you win the bacterial battle in your gut, and adding the spices helps deliver the nutrients effectively and increase circulation and cardiovascular function.
- Tea cozy or strainer
- 10 oz mug or larger
- 2 – 1 litre mason jars
- Tea kettle
- 1 litre of pure, unsweetened, cranberry juice
- 3 tbsp of Pau D’arco (inner bark)
- 3 tbsp of schizandra berries
- 2 lemons
- 6 tbsp of cane sugar
- 1/8 tsp of turmeric (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne (or to taste)
- Kefir starter (or probiotic capsule)
- Pour room temperature cranberry juice into 2 mason jars, splitting the contents between the two.
- Boil at least 16 ounces of water.
- Add Pau D’arco to tea cozy and place in mug to brew. Add 8 oz of hot water. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Pour Pau D’Arco tea into two 1 litre mason jars, splitting the contents between the two.
- Add schizandra to tea cozy and place in mug to brew. Add 8 oz of hot water. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Pour schizandra tea into two 1 litre mason jars, splitting the contents between the two.
- Squeeze juice of 2 lemons and split between the two mason jars (or squeeze 1 lemon into each).
- Add 3 tbsp of cane sugar to each jar. Stir to mix.
- Check temperature of mixture. Wait until it is approximately 90-100F.
- Add kefir starter, use existing kefir already made, or probiotic capsule to each mixture. If using kefir starter, split between the two containers. If using existing kefir, use 2 oz in each mixture. If using probiotic capsule, use one in each mixture (of at least 10 million bacteria in each cap).
- Seal lids tightly and let sit on counter, at 75F or higher (VERY important), covered or out of direct sunlight for 24-72 hours.
- Ferment will start to show carbonation or lid will pop up which shows fermentation is active. Tonic is ready when it tastes slightly tart (starter has “eaten” all the sugar to create fermentation).
- Add turmeric and cayenne, splitting the amount between the two mixtures.
- Enjoy as often as you like. Try starting with 1 oz in the morning and 1 oz in the afternoon.
The views and services offered by Healing the Body are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical service, but as an alternative for those who are seeking natural solutions for better health. As part of this service, we recommend certain products that we are affiliated with because we have personal experience in using them and believe they can create noticeable results for others when used properly and are cleared by your medical professional. For more information, please see our full disclosure.