The Aztecs revered the cacao bean. It played an important role in their social and religious life, symbolized life and fertility and was also used as medicine and as a currency. This melt-in-your-mouth bittersweet superfood spread throughout the world after the Spaniards took the cacao bean to Spain and still continues to shine as a top health food today! Chocolate in its unprocessed, unheated, raw state is one of the most beneficial health foods we can consume.
This is the quickest I’ve ever made raw chocolate from scratch.
- 1/4 cup cacao butter melted in the dehydrator (or double boiler)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 tsp maca powder
1. Melt the cacao butter in the dehydrator
2. Add the melted cacao butter to the rest of the ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and whisk rapidly.
3. Pour into molds or onto parchment in a pan and add your favorite fixin’s. This recipe has fresh strawberries and Brazil nuts.
4. Put in the freezer for 20 mins and voila! Your own super delicious heart healthy chocolate!