Creating an optimal hormonal balance is one of the best things you can do for their health. Fully functional hormones will increase energy, improve sleep, reduce anxiety, and much more. One of the key parts to your hormonal function is your thyroid, a small butterfly shaped gland found in the anterior part of the upper neck. Unfortunately, this important gland has taken a beating, but there are ways to heal hypothyroidism naturally.
Signs of Hypothyroidism
If you haven’t been officially diagnosed with hypothyroidism, consider the following symptoms as potential warning signs of a sluggish thyroid:
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Swollen eyelids
- Brittle nails
- Menstrual irregularities
- Psoriasis and eczema
- Yeast overgrowth
- Memory impairment
- Cold intolerance
So now, if you feel you have hypothyroidism, what can you do naturally to help heal it?
Foods to consider
The most common nutritional deficiency behind hypothyroidism is insufficient iodine. The low levels of this mineral in the diet spurred the recommendations to add it to table salt. Unfortunately, iodine has a short shelf life and table salt is heavily processed and often contains chemical residue.
The best bet is to eat foods that naturally contain iodine and other nutrients that assist with its proper absorption. Examples of these foods are:
- Seaweed (kelp, dulse, nori)
- Navy beans
- Himalayan crystal salt
- Black strap molasses
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pumpkin seeds
If you are very deficient (or want to check), read this article on iodine supplementation.
It’s also a good idea to consume beneficial fats, such as:
- Brazil nuts (also a great source of selenium, which is important to T3 activation)
- Coconut oil
- Cod liver oil
You can also consider supplementation such as:
* Important Note: Those with conditions related to hyperthyroidism should avoid iodine supplements and foods very high in iodine as it may cause a more aggressive autoimmune attack on thyroid tissue.
Foods to eliminate
There are also foods to eliminate if you have hypothyroidism, such as those that contain goitrogens. Goitrogens are naturally occurring anti-nutrients in certain foods that interfere with production of thyroid hormones. Examples of foods to eliminate if you have hypothyroidism include:
- Unfermented soy products
- Raw broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, and turnips
- Mustard, millet, pine nuts, peanuts, almonds
- Canola oil
- Peaches and strawberries
Note: Soy products can be consumed if fermented (miso, tempeh) and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) are fine if they are fermented or lightly cooked, as it has been shown that these processes effectively remove the goitrogenic compounds.
It is also a good idea to avoid conventional dairy products, processed foods and flours, added sugars, caffeine, and alcohol.
The state of the world today makes it very difficult to avoid radiation. Whether it is the Fukushima disaster and cesium-137, or EMFs from wifi signals, cell phones, TVs, computers, microwaves, and medical imaging, radiation is a prevalent threat to everyone and especially those with thyroid problems.
To avoid and neutralize radiation as much as possible, consider the following:
- Limit exposure to common electronic devices such as cell phones and computers
- For devices that will continue to be used, consider technologies that neutralize their radiation
- When plausible, practice earthing (bare skin touching the earth’s surface such as feet) or use grounding technology
- Consume iodine rich foods that allow radioactive iodine to pass through the body, leaving it unharmed
Xenoestrogens are man-made estrogen mimicking molecules that are significant hormone disruptors. These chemicals and disruptors cause imbalances that eventually can cause thyroid related disorders such as hypothyroidism.
Examples of xenoestrogens, which should be avoided, include:
- Plastic containers
- Lining of canned food
- Styrofoam cups and containers
- Cosmetics and toiletries
- Agricultural chemicals
- Non-organic meat and dairy
Incorporate these things to heal hypothyroidism naturally, and watch your quality of life begin to change.